AScUS is a non-profit organization committed to producing and promoting actionable and multidisciplinary knowledge to tackle urban sustainability challenges across the globe. It arose from the success of the AScUS unconferences in 2020 and 2021 and the will to give continuity to the unconference series and its related activities.
AScUS 2022 will be a one-day virtual unconference to learn about the members’ latest works and to provide a forum to provide a healthy exchange of ideas. More details here.
In 2023, with the return to in-person conferences and the associated higher organizational effort, we are thrilled to announce that AScUS 2023 will take place in person. More details will be published soon!
What we do
AScUS is committed to producing and promoting actionable and multidisciplinary knowledge to tackle urban sustainability challenges across the globe. This includes the organization of a bi-annual AScUS unconference [Link] (a participant driven, interdisciplinary unconference with a highly interactive, workshop-like format), follow-up activities like the publication of the path-to-action documents that are generated as outcome of the unconferences, and other intermediate activities like webinars or other occasional online events. The topics treated are related with urban sustainability and should contain an actionable element. Possible topics can be (but are not limited to):
- Policy and Governance towards Urban Sustainability
- Human Behavior and Psychology related to Urban Sustainability
- Circular Economy at the Urban Scale
- Sustainability and Resilience Metrics
- United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
- Infrastructure Modeling and Design
- Urban Ecology
- Social and Environmental Justice
- Rebound Effects
- Life Cycle Design in the Built Environment
- Sustainable Cities: Open Source Data, Big Data, and Data Mining
- Data-Driven Urban Design
- Urban and Hinterland Relationships
- Education and Outreach in Urban Sustainability Science
- Interdisciplinary Partnerships towards Urban Sustainability
Who we are
AScUS is a non-profit organization run by a group of committed scholars on a voluntary basis. The leadership team is open to anyone interested in urban sustainability and willing to commit themselves to contributing time to the advancement of the organization.While being an independent organization, AScUS is closely collaborating with Metabolism of Cities [Link]. The steering committee is composed of a group of researchers based in Asia, the Americas, and Europe and is currently composed of (alphabetical order):
- Shauhrat Chopra | City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong | email@example.com
- Sybil Derrible | University of Illinois at Chicago, United States | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maureen Ferry | HouseStories, United States | email@example.com
- Matan Mayer | IE University, Spain | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Santiago Perez I University of Technology of Troyes, France I email@example.com
- Jens Peters | University of Alcalá, Spain | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anne Ventura | University Gustave Eiffel, France | email@example.com
Feel free to contact any of them for questions related to the organization.
How to join
If you would like to contribute to the organization in any form, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Also, if you have any suggestions or questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
We are a non-profit organization sustained by voluntary work of the active members. However, we still have running costs for banking, administration and for organizing and financing events and divulgation. If you would like to contribute to advancing actionable science for urban sustainability, you can also support us with a donation.